Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Hey kids, the Jags have a new logo!



The Jacksonville Jaguars just unveiled their new logo. I guess when your team is as bad as the Jags, you might as well improve what you can. Of all the bad sports logos out there, I didn't think this was one of them. The new logo just get's an "'eh" from me. In other words, perfect for the Jaguars.

THE GOOD:
• The spots, although too many, are now actually "spots". And not cheetos.
• The subtle fur zig-zag on the chin and ear are a nice touch.
• They kept the color scheme.

THE BAD:
• It looks like a really good high school logo
• Bad line work. The best feature of the old logo was the nice thick, consistant outline around the overall mark. The new is thick only on the bottom, making the top of the head seem flattened. Also, look at the space between the bottom teeth and tongue in the old logo. See the separation the thick black area creates? Now look at the new. It's too thin. It will create a weird fill-in space when the logo is used small.
• Whiskers disappear. I liked how the whiskers in the old gave the mark some energy and movement.

Bottom line, I prefer the old Jags logo. The real question is: Will the fans in L.A. like it once the team moves there?

Read more: Brand New goes into detail on the scope of the redesign.

No comments:

Post a Comment